The Department of Political Sciences of the University of Perugia (Italy) is among the 180 Departments of Excellence chosen for 2018-2022. The selection has been carried out at the national level based on the results gained by the Department in the field of scientific research and of a five-years development project labelled LEPA, LEgality and PArticipation.
The core of the winning project presented by the Department is represented by the Centre of studies and advanced education on Legality and Participation” (LEPA).
LEPA develops its activities within five areas of research:
- quality of institutions, public ethics, policies against corruption;
- participatory and deliberative democracy;
- legality and integration among cultures;
- legality, social rights and social welfare in Europe;
- legality and participation in the democratization process (with particular reference to Mediterranean and Eastern European areas).
The main objectives of the LEPA are:
a) activate studies and projects contributing to social and political transformations, whilst using the concept of legality as a means of dealing with the complexities of reality and, at the same time, developing defences against probing factors, such as de-legitimization of institutions, inequality and corruption;
b) be the centre of research and reference for planning in the European funding framework, starting from the future calls on ”Governance for the future”, ”Migration”, ”Socioeconomic and cultural transformation in the context of the fourth industrial revolution”’, ”Security”.